L'Eglise Methodiste d'Haiti
(EMH /Methodist Church in Haiti)
Plans for the Future of UMVIM Teams
Mission Volunteers Director, Una Jones
Hurricane Mathew caused much devastation in Haiti on October 4, 2016. UMCOR quickly responded by providing emergency supplies and other assistance.
With UMVIM's tremendous history in Haiti with the EMH there have been several requests to send teams to support their partners and friends in the recovery area. However, from the 2010 earthquake experience we realized the best way to approach team involvement would be to allow EMH and UMCOR to do their assessments first.
After many conversations and with Haiti Partners, Mike Willis (first consultant from the Haiti Response Plan (HRP) of 2010 Earthquake) and Tom Vencuss (second consultant from the HRP) went to Haiti to explore EMH's plans and assessment especially for UMVIM teams. It's been confirmed that EMH sees this great opportunity to rebuild the partnership with the wider UMVIM community. Thank you for your patience with this process.
Here are the results of this work please remember some recommendations are still being negotiated:
- We encourage UMVIM Teams to start their planning as EMH will be ready to receive teams starting in January 2017.
- Each Team leader must have been to Haiti before; please know this would be extremely helpful because knowing and understanding the context is vital.
- Each Team should be encouraged to be smaller, e.g. 5 to 8 in total, giving EMH the capacity to possibly host 3 to 4 teams at a time, for now. Please note, this will expand down the road.
- Teams are strongly recommended to have 50% of the team members with some experience of Haiti.
- Funding recommendation from EMH for UMVIM Teams:
- Each Team raises $2500 for Project Funds and this amount is subject to EMH's 5% Admin fee.
- Second suggested recommendation: Each team cultivates an additional $2500 from interested donors to match their initial $2500 and amount is not subject to Admin fees.
- These collective funds for Projects could also support the 2:1 ratio (ration e.g. a team of 5 results in recruiting 10 Haitians) developing ownership by the Haitian and the team working "WITH" them and not "FOR" them.
- Teams will be engaged with EMH Projects and local communities.
The Mission Volunteer office in collaboration with the UMVIM Jurisdiction offices are going to be, for now, the key communication network for the wider UMVIM community until EMH can take over the full communication.
The Mission Volunteer office is soliciting names of individuals or couple interested in being Missions Volunteers (formerly known as Individual volunteers) in Haiti for approximately 2 to 3 months at a time. Please forward potential names and emails to the MV office; email: firstname.lastname@example.org attention Una Jones
We expect an Update in late December or early January with more information.